CALL FOR ENTRIES (deadline
August 31, 2023 September 30, 2023)
(Complete information and application are at https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=11908)
Inheritance & Innovation: Mokuhanga & Washi
2024 Juried International Mokuhanga Exhibition
Echizen City, Japan
Exhibition Dates: April 4 to 8, 2024
Inheritance & Innovation: Mokuhanga Artists Explore Japanese Paper
As one of its central events, the Fifth International Mokuhanga Conference is pleased to announce a call for entries for an exhibition of mokuhanga prints which will take place from April 4 to 8, 2024, at Imadate Art Hall, Echizen City, Fukui Prefecture, Japan.
The conference will focus on Japanese traditional papermaking and the innovative use of washi by contemporary mokuhanga artists. The exhibition will highlight new approaches to this historic art within the wider world of hand papermaking and contemporary art.
- CALL FOR ENTRIES: June 9, 2023
- APPLICATION DEADLINE:
August 31, 2023September 30, 2023 (midnight Japan time)
- RESULTS: November 1, 2023
- RECEIPT OF SELECTED WORKS to Japan: by January 20, 2024
- Nicholas Cladis, Artist/Papermaker, Lecturer at Univeristy of Iowa Center for the Book, Iowa City, IA
- Keiko Hara, Artist, Founder and Co-Director of Mokuhanga Project Space, Walla Walla, WA
- Allison Tolman, The Tolman Collection Tokyo/New York
- Annu Vertanen, Artist/ Professor, Academy of Fine Arts / Finland
This exhibition is open to artists worldwide. We invite applicants to submit up to three prints created within the last three years. All works must be water-based woodblock (mokuhanga) printed on Japanese paper (washi). Mixed media works are eligible but must have water-based woodcut as a major component of the work. Prints can be on machine made or handmade washi. Applicants should include the name of the washi in their application.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES: 1 – 3 works per artist, from which 1 work may be selected.
CONDITION: Mokuhanga prints on washi, created in the last three years
MAXIMUM PAPER SIZE: Maximum size is Masaban: 55 x 44 centimeters (21 x 17 inches)
SCREENING: By jpeg. Max size 2 MB.
ENTRY FEE: US $35 via PayPal or credit card. The fee is nonrefundable (This is an opportunity to participate in a highly regarded international exhibition that will be attended by many serious professionals. The fee will be used to cover the costs of jurying online, professional installation, and documentation that will be available on the conference website.
SHIPPING OF ACCEPTED ARTWORKS: Ship by Tube or Flat (no mat or frame)
- Pick up work at the Conference
- For return shipping the fee is JP¥2000 ($15.00), payable to IMA through Paypal upon receiving acceptance letter
- Option to donate your print to the International Mokuhanga Association, supporting IMA’s mission and programs through their fundraising efforts
A list of artists selected for the Juried Exhibition 2024 in Japan will be posted on the IMA website: http://2024.mokuhanga.org.
This exhibition is open to artists worldwide.